For our living room, I wanted to create a new lamp which isn’t as static as most other lamps, something dynamic but nothing too intrusive.
I was also interested in individually addressable led strips for quite some time, so I started prototyping in last year’s late summer. In december, I finished this project, and called it lavalamp after the classic decorative lamp with rising blobs of fluid which was invented in the 60s.
The lamp uses LEDs for its lighting, there are 576 individually addressable LEDs used, which shine in four directions. The lamp can produce dynamic patterns and effects. There’s a web interface I can use to change its effect, but it also reacts to its surroundings, steered by Home Assistant, my home automation platform of choice. This means that the lamp is automatically switched off when we go to bed, leave the house or want to watch a movie. It can also be voice-controlled.
With this setup, I achieve 50 frames per second for most of the effects that I’m using in the lamp, so the animations all look smoothly and feel quite natural. I think that’s really impressive, given the rather low specs of the microchip and its price point at around 2€.
The case of the lamp has a wooden foot, sitting around a concrete block which holds the lamp firmly in place and provides some isolation in case anything goes wrong in the electronic parts. The light from the LEDs is diffused through frosted glass, giving it a nice glow.
Building the lamp was a fun project. I didn’t give myself a deadline, but rather took all the time I needed spread out over a period of four months to get all the individual parts in place. I had to learn quite some new tricks, which made this project really interesting. From cutting and building the wooden case to soldering and programming the microchip. In the end, I’m really happy how the lamp turned out. It brings live into our place, while usually not being too distracting.
For further improvements, I built a USB port into the foot of the lamp, so I can just plug in my laptop and add new effects or tweak existing ones.
I’m not quite done with it yet, I want to improve the existing effects on the lamp further, but I’ll also probably build a separate unit that analyses the music playing in our living room to make the lavalamp music-reactive.